Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Boyhood

I finally got around to seeing Boyhood and it was such a fantastic film! I'd highly recommend it... 

Still from Boyhood (Richard Linklater, IFC Films 2014)

I think one of the things I liked most about it was that it was so easy to relate to and felt like nostalgia to watch. If you enjoyed Richard Linklater's other films, particularly the Before Sunrise series, you'll probably love this one as well! It's similar in that it's more about people than events. Just as the "Before" series feels like watching real human interaction and conversation, Boyhood feels like a realistic representation of what it's like to grow up. I think you'll have an extra appreciation for the movie if you grew up during the early 2000's, as you'll be able to pick out little things like music, t.v. shows, toys, etc. from your childhood. Although, you certainly don't have to have grow up in this time period because anyone from any generation can relate to what it feels like to be a kid (which is whats so great about this movie!) The dialogue also struck me as incredibly realistic. As I was watching, I kept thinking about the fact that either myself or someone I knew had said almost the exact same thing before. This in combination with the fact that the same actors and actresses were used over a 12 year period almost makes the you forget you're not watching a documentary. I can't help but think what a labor of love this movie must have been for everyone involved in making it, since they had the dedication to come back year after year and continue filming. I definitely think it was one of the best movies of the year! 

Have you seen it? I'd love to hear more opinions! 

Also, check out this awesome infographic about the cast and crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment