Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Travel: The Cliffs of Moher

I've been sick with a cold all week and it's a dreary day so I felt like reminiscing. While studying abroad in Ireland in 2012, I visited the Cliffs of Moher. More photos below (plus a little synopsis of our trip) if you'd like to see...


We took a bus tour from Cork, I can't remember for sure, but I think it may have been this one. It was just a day trip, but we packed a lot into one day. We started with a very quick bathroom stop in Limerick where we saw King John's Castle on the River Shannon. 


Next we stopped at The Burren, a national park where we saw lots of limestone, cows, and a tomb (above), dating back to the Neolithic period. 



We also visited the mini cliffs. They were impressive in their own right and looked a lot different from the Cliffs of Moher- much more rocky. The water was shockingly blue!


Looking down at the water from the mini cliffs.^

Finally, we arrived at the Cliffs of Moher and it was gorgeous! We got really lucky with the weather that day! Above is O'Brien's tower which you can climb up for a small fee, although I didn't find the view from the top to be any better than the view from the ground. 


 Expert tip: Expect wind, and lots of it! haha 



Don't look down!^

     

I was really happy that the bus tour company gave us plenty of time to explore the cliffs and take photos!

As always in Ireland, I would recommend packing layers, it gets windy on the cliffs and the weather can change in an instant! 

No comments:

Post a Comment